...which are easily accessible with the excellent network of public transport from major towns and travel hubs, such as Venice, Verona, Munich and Innsbruck.
Any one of these fabulous multi-day walks make for a memorable holiday in Italy’s breathtaking Dolomite mountains. The author weaves the best of her 20-year experience and knowledge of this spectacular region into an original selection of itineraries on foot across each Dolomite group.
Many walks follow mule-tracks constructed by troops during the First World War, when Italy fought Austria for possession of crazy summits and tunnels were hewn through impossible mountain-sides. The highlights are emphasised and the routes are furnished with fascinating explanations of wildlife and flowers. Everything, from a stroll through woods and meadows to family routes, steep rocky zigzag passages and hands-on clambers, is covered.
This full colour revised edition has a wealth of inspiring photos, detailed maps, myriad new routes and heaps of practical help on travelling, sleeping and eating.
Gillian Price was born in England but moved to Australia when young. After taking a degree in anthropology and working in adult education, she set off to travel through Asia and trek the Himalayas. The culmination of her journey was Venice where, her enthusiasm firing for mountains, the next logical step was towards the Dolomites, only hours away. Starting there, Gillian has steadily explored the mountain ranges of Italy and brought them to life for visitors in a series of outstanding guides for Cicerone.
When not out exploring and photographing with her Venetian cartographer husband, Gillian works as a writer and translator. An adamant promoter of the use of public transport to minimise impact in alpine areas, she is an active member of the Italian Alpine Club and the Outdoor Writers’ Guild.
- Exploring the Tre Scarperi-Baranci Group
- Tre Cime di Lavaredo Circuit
- West to South across the Sesto Dolomites
- From Croda Rossa to Lago di Braies
- Roaming through the Kingdom of Fanes
- Sasso della Croce and the Cunturines
- From the Lagazuoi down Val Travenanzes
- Along the Marmarole
- The Unknown Spalti di Toro-Monfalconi Range
- Over the Nuvolau
- Croda da Lago-Pelmo Route
- The Great Pelmo Tour
- Circumnavigating the Civetta
- The Wild Heart of the Parco Nazionale delle Dolomiti Bellunesi
- Alpi Feltrine Loop
- South to North over the Pale di San Martino
- A Wartime Mule-track across the Pale di San Martino
- Behind the Marmolada
- Traversing the Sella Massif
- The Delightful Puez-Odle Altopiano
- Sass de Putia and the Puez-Odle
- The Spectacular Odle Needles
- Circling the Sassopiatto-Sassolungo
- From the Sciliar through the Catinaccio
- The Catinaccio and Antermoia
- Across the Latemar South to North
- Through the Bocca di Brenta to Molveno
- The Mighty Brenta Dolomites Traverse